The Agent2 plugin lets you collect data from all your OpenProximity nodes and upload that into a central repository for future analysis.
The data that gets collected is not sensitivie information at all, right now only 2 events are been registered:
- Found device: in this case we log time of the event and address of the discovered device.
- SDP resolved: in this case we log time and address as well together with Bluetooth channel and service in use.
Scan information could be used to get information on trends, like for example how many people passed by this site during the latest 24 hours, how long they stayed, how often they come back, etc. SDP information let's us make an even better OpenProximity as we can try guessing the SDP channel without resolving, or ignoring manufacturers which we know we are incompatible (you can send a file to a headset for example).
All the data is presented in our web service available at several addresses:
In order to get your data uploded to the site you first need to register a user and register each one of your sites. Your sites are secure they're assigned a public hash id and a private password, sites have a username assigned as well, but only you and admins can see that information, so your data is safe. If you want you can also provide the coordinates of your site, in the future we might show the stadistics in a map.
- Right now the service is all free of charge. You upload your data and you can get raw outputs. You can see records from others as well, only that to preserve they're identity you don't get all the data from the site, just all the data from the discovered devices and services.
- Global statics will be available soon free of charge, but will not show up just your site.
- Summaries are available at a cost, and are only visible to you, contact us for more information.
- Database access is possible through payment as well. The service runs as a Google App Engine application, and uses GQL not SQL, it's a Django application so Django queries are possible. Contact us for more information, we can design the access for you or help you make it.
This project is quite new, there are plenty of things we have in mind for the future like:
- Campaign management
- Demographical studies
- Sensors information
- Car Trafic shapping
Installation is rather an easy process. If you're running Ubuntu and added our repository then installation is as simple as:
sudo apt-get update sudo apt-get upgrade # optional sudo apt-get install openproximity-agent2 sudo service openproximity restart
Note: If you're using our virtual image then you have to remove and reinstall openproximity2 before installing the plugin:
sudo apt-get remove openproximity2 sudo apt-get install openproximity2
Once you have installed the agent is time to set it up. First you need to create a user at any of our websites:
- http://globalscanner.aircable.net (not yet available, CNAME haven't updated yet)
Create a user by clicking on Register on the top left. To register you need to provide a username, email and password. A captcha is used as well to make sure you'e a human. Once you complete all the steps an email will be generated and mailed to you. Check your mail account, you should get it in a few minutes.
After you have confirmed your user, it's time to set up a site for you.
The first time you open up the agent2 window it will tell you it's not ready to work and ask you to setup. Click there, and you will get into the setup screen (you will be requested to be logged in as admin).
Type in a valid GlobalScanner url (like the ones from above), copy paste your hash id and password take into account they may be too long to fit into the web page so double click to select it all. Fill in the cron settings, */5 makes it send each 5 minutes, look for cron help on how to setup. And click on Accept the system will connect to the remote server and check if the credentials and everything is fine.
In a few minutes (depending your cron settings) you will start getting registers into our database, and you will be able to see them online.
Go to our GlobalScanner page and start seen your records.